Society of Barley Engineers and Veterans Association of North County (VANC) are working together to run the First Annual VANC Oktoberfest. The event will be held on Oktober 15th at VANC’s facility in Oceanside. All proceeds will benefit the Veterans Association of North County. See the flyer below for details.
Tickets are available at the VANC website.
As most of your know, we are hosting our first big homebrew competition, sponsored by Rip Current Brewing. The grand prize winner will get to scale up their recipe and brew on Rip Current’s production brewery!
The link to our competition is http://competition.societyofbarleyengineers.org
The competition will be capped at 100 entries, 2 entries per person max with no duplicate sub-category entries.
Entries are now being accepted and will remain open until we hit the entry cap, or 8/24.
Category #5 – Bock
Category #13 – Stouts
Category #16 – Belgian & French Ale
Category #18 – Belgian Strong Ale
Category #23 – Experimental/Specialty Beer
We need BJCP qualified judges and a few volunteer stewards for the competition! You can register for these positions via the competition software. These are available for signup right now. The competition is registered with BJCP so judges will be awarded points. Judging will take place on Sunday, September 7th. Lunch will be provided and also a custom gift. Judges and stewards will be contacted to confirm acceptance.
Entry cost is $5/entry and must be paid through the competition software via PayPal only. You will not be able to print your labels until your entries are paid for. No cash or checks accepted.
If you do not have a PayPal account, sign up for one. It’s free and easy.
**IMPORTANT** Once you click the PayPal link and pay for your entries, you must click the “RETURN” button to go back into the competition software. If you fail to do this, your entries will not show as paid.
Each entry must be 2 plain brown 12oz unlabeled bottles, with unmarked caps.
Bottle drop off dates are: 8/20-8/24 in person at Rip Current Brewing (1325 Grand Ave #100, San Marcos, CA 92078) during Tasting Room hours ONLY. Wed – Thurs: 4PM – 8PM, Fri: 3PM – 9PM, Sat: 11AM – 9PM, Sun 12PM – 5PM.
No mailed entries accepted. No after hours entries accepted.
Rip Current is doing us a huge favor by hosting and accepting entries, so please help us make this as easy on the brewery and their employees as possible.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com
Good luck & may the best brewer win!
SBE’s 20th Anniversary was recently featured in the San Diego Union-Tribune.
See the full article here:
The final meeting of 2012 is upon us. We are scheduled to have a critical review of some homebrews as the main event. Last meeting, we went over the judging process and the BJCP guidelines, so, this week we will try it out. If you have a homebrew that you would like to volunteer for the exercise, Please indicate that on the RSVP form.
We will have judging forms and will go through the process of judging 2 or 3 beers, just as would happen in a competition.
Also, we will be confirming Officers for the next year. I will send a separate e-mail regarding that.
Finally, we will be collecting ideas for meeting topics for 2013.
The Shared Entree will be Penne with Chicken and tomatoes. Please indicate on the RSVP form if you will be participating. As always, it is $13 including tax and tip.
The RSVP form link is below
- Money for Entree if participating
- Ideas for meeting subjects
- Dues for 2013.
Officer elections for 2012 were held at the November meeting. Congratulations to our newly elected officers:
President: Jeremy Jerome
Vice President/Treasurer: Andy Gamelin
Propaganda Minister (Communications Officer): Chris Banker
Events Coordinator: Judy Glasser
Director of Special Operations: Lauren Sallee
Competition Czar: Chris Stawney
Professor of Vice (Education Coordinator): Jeff Kiser
I was recently elected to the position of Communications Officer and have been making many changes to advance the efficiency and effectiveness of communications both within the club and externally. As part of these changes, I have made several improvements to the website. The following are the most notable changes:
- Addition of a club calendar. This is a google calendar, accessible through the Calendar menu link, that shows SBE meetings and events, as well as public beer events of interest to the homebrewing community. The different types of events are differentiated by different colors on the calendar. If you use Google Calendar, you can add these calendars to your own using the (+) Google Calendar button at the bottom right of the calendar.
- Addition of a Speaker Notes page. This page contains an archive of notes and handouts from previous meetings. I will continue to post notes from future meetings, as well as continue working on gathering them from previous months. These notes are also linked to in the comments for their respective meetings.
- Notes from meetings. Following each meeting, I will be posting information such as presentation notes, Club-Only Competition Winners, meeting photos, and announcements. These notes will be posted as comments to the meeting announcement post.
- A simple form for joining the SBE Associates email list. This form is available on the About page of the site. The associates email list is a low-traffic announcement-only list for those who are interested in getting involved with SBE and finding out about meetings. Typically the only emails sent to this list are a once-monthly meeting announcement from our president.
I plan to continue making improvements to the website and welcome any comments or suggestions. I can be contacted through the Contact page of the site.
SBE Communications Officer
During the November meeting, we held officer elections for the coming year.
Here are the election results for the SBE Elections for the 2011 calendar year:
President: Andy Gamelin
Vice President: Jeremy Jerome
Communications Officer: Chris Banker
Competition Czar: Paul Sangster
Director of Special Operations: Lauren Sallee
Events Coordinator: Stan Sisson
Congratulations to our new officers.
Society of Barley Engineers recently entered into the Brewers Association club only competition, Pucker Up, with a club chosen entry from Andy Gamelin. Andy brewed up his Kriek taking home third place amongst 53 entries! Join us in congratulating Andy for his hard work and superior brewing abilities. Keep up the good work!